Saturday 6 April 2013

Who to tell.


At this stage I'd like to add that only 10 people know that we were in India,
To pack up and leave for a month is kind of hard, as my husband and I own a cafe and come from
A Greek background, we are visited often by family & friends, as we are always at the shop.
So a little white lie was put into place, saying we were away looking at a new business.

In all honesty I never expected a negative result.
My plan was, tell a little white lie, but come back with awesome news, and everyone would just forgive our white lie......however, the negative result changed all my plans, and now the little lie that everyone keeps asking me about, has become a burden.

 V isn't coming with me on this trip, as Dr Shivani had him leave a sample of "his stuff". So my
Mum is coming with me. Trying to avoid people as much as I can until we work out what to say.
As this trip falls right on our Greek Easter, and my parents have cancelled their cruise, so my mum can be with me. So now the burden of them having to lie is killing me too.

Everyone knows everyone in the Greek community of my home town. Ive been trying so hard to control who knows and who not to tell. It's drained me. 
I even contemplated putting a few pis of India up on fb and just title it "our Indian surrogacy journey" I'm not the type to share on fb personal stuff, but I'd you'd like to know know more the pls PM me and I'll send you the link to my blog..... I didn't do that. 
Instead I've gone about it the old fashion way. 
I started with one family member (cousin ) from each of my families, explained to them from the beginning and asked them to explain it to their parents ( aunties & uncles ) cause I love that my parents are supportive, however explaining this stuff... Some things get lost in translation.
It is  important to explain the journey from the beginning, cause its natural that everyone first comment is...." I know someone who couldnt fall pregnant and did this........"
Trust me. I've been there, and heard it. And, done it.!

The simple analogy was... " it's just like baking a cake. We put the ingredients together at your house, but your oven doesn't work...., so we use the neighbours oven to cook the cake, and in nine months will come an pick it up!!"  Food!! It works every time. LOL

So now our family all know. We decided whoever we saw and if the situation presented itself, no need to lie, tell them. The more you try to keep a secret. The more stories get made up.
We are not embarrassed about this, nor do we care what people think morally. 
But. What if it's a negative. Again. 



4 comments:

  1. Think positive :-) those who really care about you would only wish you the best outcome! They would pray and genuinely wish you the best! Your babies will come, maybe you will have 4 at once! I really like the cake example ...hmmm...maybe I will borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that! Thank u.... And yes use the example.... Everyone can relate to food. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After our first two miscarriages I realized that not telling others about our infertility was more of a burden than the untelling when it didn't work out. Not surprisingly, most people were incredibly supportive, however, I get the added greek family burden. Christos anesti;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaaa.... Xristos anesti to you too.

    ReplyDelete