Tuesday 1 October 2013

Meeting our Donor and Surrogate





I have always said that I will only meet our surrogate once we were given a positive

Result. Let's  face it, in Inda I've had 5 beautiful women be our surrogate and neither of our efforts have developed into a positive pregnancy.

So why would I meet our surrogate and form an emotional attachment that may not turn into anything. In the case of India that would mean my emotions would be 5 time more. And I'm barley keeping my emotions together now!

Also in India you are not given the option of meeting you Egg Donor. So that was not even a thought that entered my already overloaded mind.

But we have been given a new playing card Thialand!!
Bangkok is the bomb!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.  Love the food, the city, the shopping, but even more so LOVE the people. They are kind, polite, cheerful and have a respect for eachother that you see plainly when your just  walking on the streets. V and I love just sitting back and people watching.
But, I've digressed, i do that alot, so I'll leave my love of Thailand for another post. ;)

 Bangkok, and more specially Megan Sainsbury of Surrogacy  Conceptions give you the option of meeting both your  donor and surrogate. Admittedly I was still not really thinking about meeting them. I asked if I could, and I figured well if the universe places this on my path, and it works without chopping changing and well any type of difficulty then sure, fine, and if I change my mind then so be it.
But on the flight over, where I had 10hrs to think, without being interrupted by contractor for redesigning my shop, suppliers, staff, banks, payments, surrogacy bank balance. I just finally focused and realized Id like to meet them. Not just for the sake of meeting them. But because I need to tell, show them, how much I respect them.

Our beautiful donor had Uni in the morning so her appointment was made for the afternoon, so really the only change we had was a small change in time, as V needed to deposit "his stuff"
On the morning of our meeting, I had an urge to give them gifts. Now nothing I could possibly present them would show the amount of gratitude in terms of "gift" as to the gift they are giving us.
I hit the shopping malls, and I found a gorgeous bag, scarf and a Good luck charm for our beautiful surrogate and Dior makeup and nail polish for our equally beautiful donor.
Again nothing seemed enough! But, it would be a good icebreaker if we needed it.
In India it is advised not to give gifts Until after a birth. But I'm not in India :)

While getting ready I felt like I was going on a blind date,  that well neither of us had to love eachother but we were Gunna make a family together........So no pressure LOL.
 Neither of them spoke a word of english, so lucky Kay was with us and translated. 
And I must say, what an amazing experience.

I didn't cry.....at first. They were all smiles and so friendly, then after the initial greetings of all 4 of us together,  I settled, they settled, V was happy just to sit and listen, we laughted at things took photos and then I asked how my surrogate how she was feeling, being a first time surrogate, she said good, but she hopes that she can keep me smiling. And that yes money is good, but her pregnancies were very easy, and liked being pregnant, loves being a mum ( of 3 children mind you, :)  and wants me to have that joy of a baby.
Ok.... que tears, they started and seemed not to stop. I then asked my donor how she was feeling. This isn't her first donation so she knows what to expect. Her tummy was a little swollen the poor love all I could do was hug her. In fact I think I was hugging both of them every few mins.
I had no question prepared to ask them, however like I said, blind date.
I asked about their families, where they grew up, what they do in their spare time.
Then, our beautiful donor asked if she could ask me some questions.
And right there was the moment that I  realised how important it was for IPs to meet their surrogates and or donors. Not Just for us. But for them.
You see my donors very first question to me was why are we doing this.?
While I answered, I was sitting in the middle of both of them, each of them holding my hands, each of them gasping as the translator explained our conditions, each of them squeezing my hands as I replayed my steps to how I got here.
In that moment and from here on in, to them I'm not some Westerner that has come to pay for their services I'm a person who has traveled the world to find them so that they can give me the ultimate gift. My baby.
No words i write here can give meaning or justice to that moment. The connection between the 3 of us is one we will cherish forever.
And I'm forever indebted to my new extended family.
These women are special and I have their names embedded forever in my heart.

6 comments: