Tuesday 21 May 2013

Contact with the Media.



I've been back in the land of Oz for a few days. In all honesty, in the last 10 months I've traveled internationally 4 times, and I must say I do really well with jet lag, however this time I've struggled , not only with jet lag, but I'm totally exhausted, physically, and mentally.
When I arrived home on Thursday morning I was in and out of sleep all day, slept 12 hours that night, and Friday slept 14 hours.... My head feels like its going to explode. And then Saturday night it hit me......I'm just going through the motions, I'm running on empty, I have no expectations for this cycle. I have no idea how to handle a negative result, and I have no idea how to be fun anymore.
I used to be funny, but my life the last years have just been a fight!
There's an image I have of me in a boxing ring, taking a beating, the ref tries to count to 10, but I'm up before the count... And i just keep on punching, even though I'm getting no where.

While speaking with Dr Shivani, one day we got into the topic about the Negativity that the media portray
in regard to O/S surrogacy, i told her that i don't think that the Journalist know enough about it, and they continue to follow and replica whatever has already been published. We spoke for a while and she was trying to give me the courage to "come out" and speak openly about my surrogacy journey. That's a big step for me, i don't seek attention, I'm not that type.
The following day on the Surrogacy Australian FB page someone posted that a Journalist is seeking to do a documentary on surrogacy if anyone is interested to contact her. Just in case i didn't hear it before, the universe was screaming it out now.
 
I spoke with the journalist yesterday, she asked me if l'd like to go on camera and tell my story, about Overseas Surrogacy, and the changes that have occurred over the last few months both in India and Australia. I've been in 2 minds about this all day. Firstly i'd like to say, as I'm sure i have said so in a past blog. I'm not embarrassed about this path. However i do remind myself that i will be putting myself  "out there"....... but,  The decision  i need to make is based purely on the direction the documentary will take.
I made it very clear that i will not take part in anything that remotely portrays anything negative toward O/S surrogacy.
It sickens me when i read Articles saying "take away babies" and "rich westerners paying poor Indian women to have their baby".
Everyone i have met who is on this journey have either saved for years, or  have sold assets, or have taken leave from work without pay, just to have a chance to make their dream of a family come true.
So what gives ANYONE the right to "cheapen" the dream family that i and so many others desire.

It's comments like these that make my blood boil, and the main reason as to why i have agreed to speak with her. People don't know, and don't realise what emotion, what strength, what leaps and jumps Intended Parents have to make. My hope is that this documentary is one step in the direction of educating people like that from a IP's perspective and re educating those who may have taken the gift of having children for granted. And just walking them through the life of someone who will walk to another world to have a family.

She assured me, and in writing that "our intentions are to create a thoughtful, sensitive, thoroughly researched program, we have no intention or motivation to create another sensationalist report on this subject."
We spoke for over an hour gave her a run down as to what is involved.....she was astonished to hear the complexity behind a surrogacy journey.......and i only gave her the highlights!

She also mentioned that they have not yet decided as to which direction to take for this documentary as there are 2 choices. The Overseas surrogacy path or the Altristic path. They will do their research, keep in contact with me and submit to their producers who will make the final decision.
No matter which path they choose, its still a journey of surrogacy, and every IP wants the same result in the end. A Baby. Baaaaby!

6 comments:

  1. We worked extensively with the media back in 2009 as we wanted to get it out there that surrogacy is now a valid option for Aussies to have a family (if you can afford it, or be lucky enough to go the altrustic route). We purposely didn't use surnames or which state we lived in to minimise the backlash to us personally, but there was none. Zip. Lots of comments to the tv station that we were naive and being exploited and stuff like that but by far the reaction was positive. And the best thing EVER? Meeting new parents who found out about Indian surrogacy because of us. Still gives me chills!!!

    And to the people who said we were naive? We were as surrogacy in India was in its infancy (no pun intended!) and isn't the smooth operation it is now.

    So go for it. And take time to smell the roses and find the happy girl again. Big hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There! I've been taken off the SCI blog list if you would like ti continue to follow my journey you can do so on www.persistandtrust.blogspot.com.au

      Delete
  2. thank you for your kind word of encouragement. i can only imagine how things were back then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi im only beginning this journey although been ttc with ivf for 18yrs . I also hate how the media portray surrogacy and it bugs me the way people try to say we are taking advantage no one who had had a family easily and naturally should be allowed to comment on our sit-uation they have no clue as to how we put our life savings and all our hopes and dreams into these journeys, i really hope u get a positive response and you are very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. go you!! be proud of the journey as I am of you! You are very brave putting it out there, but without people like you - how will anyone ever find out about this path?. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words throughout this journey have given me my strength.
      Thank you! Xxx

      Delete