Wednesday 1 May 2013

Welcome to the Hunger Games.... Aka. FRRO!


Well it seem i survived FRRO....now that place I really have no desire to visit again.
What you will need to take with you to survive...

First you need to fill out registration form online. And a computer generated appointment will give you dates to choose from. You need to register within 14 days of arrival.
http://immigrationindia.nic.in/Instr_Online_filing2.htm

You will need -

Photocopy of passport visa page
Photocopy of passport photo page
Photocopy of stamp of arrival page
Certificate/letter from your clinic, Doctor, verifying treatment and dates 
Proof of address from your hotel. This is called a C from. (all hotels register all foreigners to FRRO)
4 copies of your online registration 
4 passport photos glue 3 onto the registration papers & keep one for later.
And a Bottle of water and a protein bar!

This is in Delhi, it may be different elsewhere...
When you arrive at FRRO there is an out door office and a whole lot of people surround  2 table. Don't make the mistake I did and line up... Just somehow push your way through. Oh and don't line up at the Afghan table. Signs are small.
The man will the scribble something on a little bit of paper. This is your "token number". 
You then walk into a a hall way, no matter how many people are there just keep pushing your way through into the small room. This room Is divided into 2 rooms,  where Afghan people have to register in one room and the rest of the world in another.
If at this stage your looking for someone to ask what next.... Good luck!
There is a table where it says enquires, you wait for this man to call your number.....so find a seat and get comfortable as the wait may be up to 3 hours! ( that's how long I waited for)
After the first hour you look for someone who you can pay, just to move the process along. 
Yeah.....sadly. No one.
Then as you have only time to kill you start to pay more attention to the people around you I spent this time watching 2 little boys aged 3 become friends one from Kenya, the other Afghanistan. no verbal sounds only sign language a little grunting but a whole lot of giggles and laughter.
I must say, we all as a human race should start to thing like children. No complications on religion or politics, just 2 souls wanting to make the most of their day regardless of the coulor of their skin. And working out their differences with no talking.

Finally at some point your number will be called, you head to the counter.... Now once they look at your visa they will send you away with another number and  to another counter. 
However my visa states that I only need register after 180 days of consecutive stay.
They look at me and laughed... They said I can leave, no need to be here. I said..trust me. I don't want to be here either, but  If you can assure me I won't have any problem at the airport when I leave.. Then I pointed to a big sign on the wall.
This sign writes all the requirement needed for all applicants.
Number 2 is for Medical Visa and it reads...." Foreigners entering on a medical visa are required to get themselves registered within 14 days of arrival, IRRESPECTIVE of the duration of visa" 
They both had no comment and gave me another number. So I guess Im still waiting. Again. 

It's now 1.30pm and everyone stops for lunch till 2. More waiting. I'm grateful for the little boys that each displayed some fun entertainment in a room full of the world and a room of chaos.
2 o'clock hits and I was done waiting. I made my way to the counter handed my papers and no one said boo. ( even though there were 15 numbers still to go before mine)
They type something in the computer & then your sent you to another counter, where they will stamp your papers, then your sent to get your visa from the photocopier, this is where you glue your 4th photo. Your then sent to another counter where more stamps are placed and then....... Your officially registered and free to go!
Now run, and leave!! Lol
The good thing about this room where all the world is gathered is it's well air conditioned!! 
Note... If you have a small child with you and they are unsettled, then don't settle them as you will jump the line for sure! And they have a thing about people that have a cold, you too will be passed through.






7 comments:

  1. LOL, wow. Thanks for posting this, very informative...and colorful! Congrats on surviving the FRRO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..I tried to count how many counters, numbers, and stamps that you went through...and I lost count! This is insane! I think I will go short India and make a few bucks as I can not see how a country like this can emerge and develop! Thanks for giving us a preview on what is waiting for us at the FRRO! I also wonder what will happen if someone didn't register and play dumb using the less than 180 days rule?!? LOL if I end up in jail, you will know why!
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know someone in Mumbai that went to FRRO, and they were sent away. Cause of the 180 days thing. And they left India with no problems. It's like we've all been saying. So many inconsistencies at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I see I will need to work on my acting skills so I can play sick. Maybe I will bring the twins with me lol. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There! I've been taken off the SCI blog list if you would like ti continue to follow my journey you can do so on www.persistandtrust.blogspot.com.au

      Delete
  4. Hi we are just home frm one week in delhi with six mt med visas we didnt reg as i had a email frm dublin indian embassy and frro delhi saying we didnt need to. It wasnt even mentioned on our way home. Not sure about it if we are back out for collection next yr on a new six mt visa they may request reg as we would have to go to them for a exit visa anyway

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rosie - I don't know if anything has changed since I was there, even though it wasn't long ago, however things can change from one day to another! I'm sue you have done so however I would definitely have a copy of that email with you when you next enter and leave India. I was stopped and asked to show all my paper work when leaving India, it only took 2mins, but I was asked. In saying that I also know of someone who had no issues when leaving from Mumbai and she never registered with FRRO either. INCINSISTANCIES everywhere.
    If others are reading this, my honest opinion is just go register, you don't know what changes will come next and you don't want any drama when baby pick day comes.
    It costs you nothing but your time.....and you have a lot of that to kill anyway. Lol
    Rosie happy to hear you had no issues.
    :)

    ReplyDelete