Monday 18 March 2013

167 emails & a boat



Wondering how i was going to find a shipping company to send our embryos, I rang and spoke with our fertility clinic, and asked to speak with the embryologist. I told them what i was doing, and mentioned surrogacy & India. She seemed really uncomfortable with what i just told her, so i quickly responded by saying you have no idea if my sister lives India and I'm using her as my surrogate, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge. In saying that, we both new that that wasn't the case. Yes i was snappy. But i'd had enough of this clinic pulling me in the direction they wanted.

We both choose not to mention the word Surrogacy again. It just seemed better that they thought they were packing my embryos to be transferred to a destination of my choice.

They gave me a name of a company, but the price for shipping was huge!! I spoke with SAM, and she gave me the details to the company they used. Bless her, cause she saved me, in more that one way. :)

The process was a challenge. Because my clinic had frozen our eggs in a liquid nitrogen it was stored at -194dgrees. It's was a new method of "snap freezing". The shipping company could only store at -187 degrees.
Problem, well, yes and no. Yes, cause you really don't want a change in temperature, and No cause its frozen at such a high temp that little bit may not make a difference. The decision was left to me.
 I emailed the embryologist with my concern. Then to top it all off there was the defrosting solution. Trust me the embryologist was using words I'd never heard of and I was at that moment wishing I'd paid more attention in chemistry at high school. The solution used by my fertility clinic here is custom made, and they are not allowed to send it or give it to any other clinic.
 STRESSED OUT is the word to describe myself now.  With some reasoning they gave us a product that could be purchased online that is similar to their custom made.
The decision time For both circumstances, risk yes, but its all a risk anyway.
Not kidding The emails between myself and the clinic and the clinic with the shipping company and the shipping company and myself and not to mention the advice of the clinic in India. we reached the 167 emails.

After weeks of back and forth, we put all our eggs literally into one big Canadian ship.

Within 6 days the ship had arrived in India, and the following day all embryos were
Safe and stored in their new home SCI, just chilln and waiting for transfer date.

Next step. Choose a surrogate. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,
    I am still early in my journey (waiting to start my cycle and harvest my eggs), can you tell me more about your shipper?
    I wish you best of luck and sending a lot of baby dusts to your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!
      Ok, I used a company called Core Cryolab. The contact person there is Greg Leadbeater he is the man!
      Phone number is - 416 260 2673
      Email Greg.leadbeater@corecryolab.com

      He did some much research, for our shipment even asking a fertility clinic in Canada their opinion as I was stressed about the change of temperature.

      The payment was I think reasonable as you really have to take into consideration custom clearance in India and the time of travel on a vapour shipper

      Thank you for baby dust :)
      Wishing you also the best of luck.

      Ps I'm further into my journey than my blog tells. At this stage I'm back tracking & telling my story. Will catch up soon, to where we are at.
      Take care & hope you get lotsa eggs to play with :)

      Delete
    2. Hi ya! I'm now no longer with SCI. If you'd like to continue to follow my next steps click
      "follow & sign in" or you can find me on www.persistandtrust.blogspot.com.au
      Hope your well :) x

      Delete
  2. The only and I mean ONLY snippety remarks about this process came from my local fertility clinic. It was a huge relief when our samples left for India then a bigger relief when they were safe with SCI! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :)
    I actually think I counted new grey hairs while the embryos were on their journey!

    ReplyDelete